SportsBanana is a sports development start-up. The aim is to inculcate sports into the daily lives of all people. We intend to initiate this process by organising small scale tournaments across various sports. Our larger vision lies in offering a plethora of opportunities to the people who want to break away from the monotony of life and to uplift the social status of sports as a whole. We will provide a platform that encourages sporting activities on a regular basis.
SportsBanana will act as a facilitator and event organiser, organising various sporting events like football and cricket tournaments, marathons et cetera.
SportsBanana will follow the contingency approach to organisational behaviour so as to adapt to the constantly changing external environment.
SportsBanana is structured in 2 parts:
- Business Module
- Event Module
Business Module refers to the organisation that the event represents. It includes organisational aspects of the start-up and provides an operational framework. The Business Module is headed by the Managing Director who heads and supervises the following departments:
- Finance: Allocation of budgets to various events and general accounting
- Legal: Controlling the legal aspects of the sporting events
- Marketing: Event proposal to clientele and garner attention to events
- Human Resource: Recruitment, Grievance Redressal and Formation of Event Teams
Event Module refers to the on-ground sporting events that the company shall organise.
The Event Module will be headed by an Event Supervision Team which acts as an intermediary between the event handlers and the Business Module.
The Event Handlers refer to senior managers who supervise the various aspects of the events module. There are 6 Departments that are focused upon in this module. They are classified as:
- Technical: Attends to the technical needs of the event. Example: Sound Tech
- Logistics: Assesses the practicality of event organisation
- Finance: Formulates the approximate expenditure expected and total expenditure incurred
- Marketing: Pitching of innovative events to clientele
- Internal PR: Employee Reference Cell promoting better internal communication
- Research: Providing technical guidance needed during sporting events. Example: Rules and Regulations of various sports.
SportsBanana follows the Matrix Structure. The Business Module plays the role of Business Group Managers while the Event Handlers act as Product Managers.
The group behaviour is highlighted especially in the Events module wherein an Events team works in a self-sustained manner to conduct the event successfully. The Task Group Behaviour is applied in this model.
The Event handlers supervising the various Events departments are given two departments each. They are also given the opportunity to exchange departments on a rotationary basis. This guarantees exposure in supervision of multiple departments and enhancement of inter-communication skills.
A plethora of opportunities are provided in both the modules to exhibit leadership skills. The business module is governed by the various department heads who are important leaders as they take part in decision making and finalising organisational policies.
Democratic Leadership skills are inculcated in the organisational structure.
The Events module generates a vacancy for ample leadership skills. The Event Handlers pay close attention to the execution of events and grade the employees on their performance. The grades achieved in addition to a popular vote leads to the selection of the Events Supervision Team for that event.
SportsBanana understands the importance of both monetary and non-monetary incentives.
Employees will be awarded rewards and recognition in accordance to the compliance of goals achieved. This is in tune with the Goal Setting Theory.
- Quarterly Bonus for employees with exemplary grades.
- 5% of the profits of sporting event set aside for staff welfare
- Product Incentives: Giving away of sporting merchandise to compliant employees.
- Monthly Organisation of sporting events for the employees. Example: Employee Squash Tournament.
- Rewards with sporting backgrounds. Example: Player of the Year Award to Best Employee.
- Recognition of outstanding employees in quarterly newsletters and in company mails.
- Elevation of employee to Events Head/Supervision Team (Psychological aspect).
The organisation’s aim is to inculcate sports in daily lives of all people to promote a better lifestyle. The work culture shall be in accordance to the aforesaid aim.
A stress-free environment must be promulgated with a light code of conduct to maintain discipline and prevent autocracy of any kind.
There shall be minimalistic restriction to guarantee employee freedom and satisfaction.
Feedback shall be received monthly to inquire on work satisfaction of all employees.
The organisation culture should focus mainly on Creativity and Team Orientation.
SportsBanana intends to revolutionise the sporting scenario in India as well as attempt to bring in innovative organisational techniques and exploit the advantages of the existing ones to attain maximum potential of the employees in a workable environment.